Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Monday, October 18, 2010

2nd posting: Bed resting forever, and ever, and ever....

Somewhat of a milestone today.  I've been on bed rest for 13 weeks.  That's 91 days!!!  So glad I can say we are over the hump in this little adventure. 

So, what does a person do on bed rest?  Gosh, I'm just as busy as can be (note sarcasm)! I start out the day with getting monitored at seven o'clock.  Why am I getting monitored you ask?  Well, since I have little amniotic fluid, there is a good chance the baby may rest up against the umbilical chord.  If that happens, it results in a "d-cel" which is a deceleration of the heart.  You'd be amazed at how fast that heart rate can change!  One minute we're going strong at 140 beats per minute, and then BAM, down to 80.  Normally when that happens, the baby realizes it and moves, thus taking the pressure off the chord.  Sometimes though, as the baby get bigger, he may not be able to readjust.  That's when action must take place, sometimes all it takes is the mommy repositioning herself, other times it can result in an emergency C-section.  So far, my baby has had d-cells, but they've quickly returned to a normal heartbeat. Still, kind of freaks a mommy out when she hears it!

During my monitoring time, the family is getting ready for school and calls me on the web cam to wish me a good morning.  I am so thankful for that web cam and highly recommend it for anyone staying in the hospital for a good length of time.  It has made my hospital stay a lot easier.  Out of all the kids, Emma, my 6 year old and certified momma's girl, has taken this separation the hardest.  The first week she would call me after school, show me all the stuff she brought home that day.  Then, she'd read me stories and draw pictures while I sat and did crossword puzzles.  We felt like we were together even though we're about 30 miles apart. 

The rest of the day involves watching pointless TV, a quilting project, doodling in my sketchpad, and hours of computer time.  I am a member of a couple of support groups that have helped me immensely.  These are:   http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=66565645322 which is a Facebook site called (P)Prom, Preterm Premature Rupture Of Membranes, and http://community.babycenter.com/groups/a6718373/pprom_support_group named pProm Support Group on the Babycenter website.  Talking with other women who are going through the same thing really, really helps make the time go by.  It's neat because you can ask women who are ahead of you questions, and you can give advice to those who are not as far as you. 

Other than that, food is a big part of the day.  Those meals break things up a bit.  I also shower every day.  Some women going through this shower as little as possible.  They believe the less active you are, the more fluid will stay inside you.  Well, for my sanity, I take the risk.  Even though I don't get too dirty laying around, it feels good to have that time out of bed.  Whatever you can do to keep your sanity, do it!

So, that's pretty much it.  Very different from the life I was living 13 weeks ago.  I tell you though, on the positive side, I think I was living life way too fast before.  I was always planning what to do next instead on concentrating on what I was involved in at the moment.  I'm hoping once this is done, I can keep the pace at a decent level and enjoy what I have at that time.  It's a lesson to be learned for sure!

1 comment:

  1. I just got done reading your entries and i have to say you made me cry. (THANKS A LOT)
    I obviously knew your situation prior to reading, but hearing you put things so eloquently and with such strength makes me admire you even more.
    I love you and will see you saturday.
    I am a panda.....

    ReplyDelete