Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

7th Posting: Watching the Seasons Go By from My Window

When my water first broke, it was the middle of summer.  Now I lay in my hospital bed, watching the leaves change and the wind fiercely blow.  I used to wake up to the sun already high in the sky, but now, there's darkness and I'm able to watch the sunrise.  It's a gorgeous one this morning with a swirling mix of purple clouds and orange light.  I find days like this easier to be a bed rester.  Instinctively my body would rather be in bed than outside.  So weird to think I've missed summer, and now fall.  When this is over there will be snow on the ground. Life is honestly passing me by.

Things have been pretty quiet baby wise and I'm glad.  I still get contractions here and there, but now I think that's the way it's supposed to be.  I am taking it easy more than ever because I feel like I'm on the fence.  I could honestly go at any minute.  At this point, we've even started to limit visitors because of the obvious exertion it takes on my part (remember, low-grade fever!).  People have been very understanding which I am so thankful for.  I just don't want to hurt any one's feelings.  I want them to know how much we appreciate their kindness and efforts.

Other than that, I'll be 28 weeks tomorrow.  That's a huge week when it comes to being a preemie.  Seems early doesn't it? (The normal pregnancy gestation is 40 weeks)  The thing is, once a baby hits this 28 week mark, the potential problems and disabilities caused by prematurity drops dramatically.  A baby's survival rate at this stage is 96%!  Of course we'll always have to take into account our baby's special circumstances, but the longer s/he stays in, the better the odds.  As a gambler, I just love them odds!

I also have an ultrasound on Friday.  It's been over a month since I had my last one, which of course, showed no measurable fluid,  I'm hoping for a little bit of SOMETHING in there since I've dedicated all my time to laying around.  I don't feel like I leak as much as I did at home.  Ideal situation is to see my little baby swimming like a mermaid in amniotic fluid and have those darn legs uncrossed so we can see what we're having!!!  This little stinker is such a drama lover through and through.   Good thing he's spunky. Besides prayers and the grace of God,  I think that's what has gotten us this far.  Come on kid.  Give us a break!

1 comment: