Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

3rd Posting: A Leak or Not a Leak? That is the million dollar question.

Being in the hospital for almost three weeks now, I've dealt with many different nurses and many of the same questions.  They'll ask me how I'm feeling, any cramping, tenderness in the tummy area, etc.  I don't really mind repeating the same answers again and again; HOWEVER, there is one question that causes some frustration.  That question is...HOW MUCH ARE YOU LEAKING?  Uhhhh, how in the heck am I supposed to answer that?  There is no set rhyme or reason how or why.  There are no measuring tools involved.  All I know is that I leak every day and that's all I can say. 

Having said that, I now would like to talk about how my leaking has been for those going through pPROM, or those of you who are simply interested.  If the talk of amniotic fluid grosses  you out--this may be the blog entry to skip.

First of all, the reason why we're leaking (besides the obvious rupture of membranes) is because even though we've lost our initial amniotic fluid, the baby keeps producing more.  What is amniotic fluid?  To put it bluntly, amniotic fluid is baby pee.  That is why a lot of women in my situation drink
 A LOT of liquids.  I personally drink at least a gallon (4 liters) a day.  The more you drink, the more trips to the bathroom you'll make, and the more your baby will go as well.  With the amniotic sac having a tear, not everything is going to stay in there, but what ever will is a bonus!

When this first happened to me, I didn't leak very much at all.  A 14 week baby in utero doesn't go that much!  There'd be a couple of "trickles" now and then, and when I'd get up in the morning, I'd experience a small gushing sensation.  This was because the fluid was building up in the pelvic area while I was laying down and would come out as soon as I stood up.  It didn't mean I was leaking more at night.  It just had a place for storage.  Yes, gross I know.

As the weeks went on, the baby grew, and with that, the amount of fluid he would release also increased in quantity.  I would experience the gushes more often.  Sometimes when I stood up.  Other times, I'd just be sitting there.  As I mentioned before, no rhyme or reason.

With the baby getting bigger, there's also a chance he will block part or all of the tear in the amniotic sac.  I've had it happen a couple of times where I'll go one or two days without leaking, but once that baby decides to move...you know where I'm going with it.

In the beginning, those feelings of trickles and gushes can really cause some emotions.  I  would get so upset whenever I felt one.  It was a constant reminder of the situation I'm in and what it could mean for this little baby inside me.  However, now that I've been at this for over 13 weeks, I sometimes get startled, but it doesn't cause the fear or disappointment it did in the beginning.  It's truly all a matter of how you look at it.  Something you have to keep in mind is, if you're trying your best, that's all you can do.  If you get a gush, be happy that the amniotic fluid had some time to build up.  Your baby used that fluid!  If you get a trickle, tell yourself that was wussy.  Some of that liquid has to be still in there!

Whatever the case is, leaking is pretty much a daily occurrence, but the amount is changing all the time.  Even though it can be frustrating, keep in mind it's a solid assurance that the baby's bladder and kidneys are functioning the way they should.  It's a sign your baby is developing.  And that, is a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment